My biggest mistakes in planetary imaging are: a) I am always too impatient to rest after an early morning session BEFORE touching the data and b) I take the data with me and process them on my netbook instead of processing them on my comfortable, calibrated 20" monitor at home. This of course results in me not producing the best images possible out of the data at hand. I'm still going through the data set but one particular avi stood out, that of 01:11 UT. Here's a reprocessed version of that with better color balance and limb issues corrected.
The amount of detail that comes out of planetary imaging attempts is directly proportionate to the amount of detail you put in to your preparation i.e. collimation!
I set up yesterday afternoon without any expectations for the morning since the forecasts were not at all favorable. I spent a good deal of time attempting to improve the collimation of the scope since it had shifted considerably due to a couple of trips to dark skies. Packed up, slept for 2 hours and got up again at 03:00 local to find Jupiter shining brightly and looking very very good! I must have been under a pocket of steady air as this data set is the most consistent and clear set I 've ever acquired! All 45 GB's of it! As a teaser, here is a first, very rough, attempt presented in 120 and 150%. Note that this set was acquired working at approximately f/30 with the actual f/ number soon to follow!
The weather conditions last night / this morning were nothing special but I could not stand another night away from the scope so I set up anyway hoping to catch some good seeing in the early morning hours. Lots of wind gusts meant I was unable to check the scope's collimation (which is severely off especially after two dark sky trips!) and so I could only shoot as is and hope for the best.
P.S. I also took another profile shot of the C9,25 with the DBK loaded!
***BLOG CURRENTLY INACTIVE***
Ad Astra Per Aspera: